Training and grants: Government schemes for women entrepreneurs | SupportBiz

Human Resources

Training and grants: Government schemes for women entrepreneurs

 
It is estimated that around 20 percent of the MSMEs in India are promoted by women. The Government of India has made special provisions for women entrepreneurs under the watch of the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MoMSME). Training and funding are provided pursuant to this. The government has traditionally focused on improving the base skill set, especially among first generation women entrepreneurs.

Exclusive Entrepreneurship Development Programmes (EDPs) are regularly organized for the benefit of women. The National Institute for Medium, Small and Micro Enterprises, National Institute for Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development (NIESBUD) and the Indian Institute of Entrepreneurship – Guwahati all provide training to women entrepeneurs. It is estimated that around 12,000 women entrepreneurs received training at these institutes in 2011-12.

The government also provides a wide range of schemes that are women oriented, and they are provided assistance in terms of benefits and concessions. Some important grant schemes initiated by the Central government are given below:
 
Trade Related Entrepreneurship Assistance and Development Scheme for Women (TREAD)
This scheme focuses on women entrepreneurs who are involved in non-agricultural activity. The Central government provides a grant up to 30 percent of the project cost to Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) that promote women entrepreneurship. The remaining 70 percent is arranged by the lending agency in terms of credit.
 
Additionally, the government also provides a grant up to INR1 lakh for each programme envisaged by training institutes or NGOs for providing training to women. There is also a government-sponsored need-based grant program that provides up to INR5 lakh to nationally-recognized Entrepreneurship Development Institutes (EDIs) that undertake research and evaluation studies and participate in courseware design.
 
Mahila Coir Yojana
This women-focused scheme for the coir industry seeks to provide self-employment to the rural female population in areas with established coir production clusters. 
 
Under the scheme, motorized spinning machines (ratts) are provided at a discount to women engaged in the production of coir. A two-month training program is initially provided at the Coir Board’s Training Centres. One women artisan per household is eligible for assistance under the scheme.
 
The monthly stipend for trainees has been raised to INR750 from the earlier INR500. The Coir Board provides ratts at a subsidized price of 25 percent with a higher limit of INR7,500 for motorized ones and INR3,200 for the traditional variety. The balance cost has to be met by the beneficiary.
 
Apart from these marquee schemes, the Ministry of MSME also provides assistance through other nodes such as the National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC). Need-based funding and credit schemes, with a special focus on women entrepreneurs, are available.
 
                 http://www.nsic.co.in/mkt.asp#