The very idea of an organized association for women entrepreneurs stemmed from the compelling need to empower and employee women stand on their foot and so, Association of Women Entrepreneurs of Karnataka (AWAKE) was born in 1983.
In its stated organizational policy, AWAKE’s vision is “to develop self-reliance amongst women” and its mission is to “empowering women through entrepreneurship development to improve their economic condition.”
The focus of the association is on empowerment of women from rural and urban areas as its philosophy is founded on the believe that economic empowerment of women would enable them to integrate themselves into the main stream and make available to the region vast resources in terms of motivated populace whose contributions can be channeled to ensure a dynamic, positive and vibrant social fabric.
“Awake is a two-faceted organization. It is an industrial association on one side while on the other, AWAKE is a rural developmental organization. As an industrial association, we are part of all the policy making bodies at both the state and the central governments and on the rural developmental side, our sole focus is to create entrepreneurs,” said Dhanavanti Jaiin, President, AWAKE.
The association has helped create more than one lakh employment directly and indirectly ever since its creation. AWAKE has counseled more than 40 lakhs women through business counseling and awareness programs; created market linkages through exhibitions, buyer seller meets for over 75000 women entrepreneurs; created a network with over 200 organizations, institutions of regional, national and international level and has reached out to over 50 lakh women in rural and urban areas across the state.
The organization’s reach can be understood with the following facts:
- It has set Business Counseling centers in 20 districts (10 centers have been equipped with technology to conduct Video counseling through webinar and Skype)
- Set up incubators - food processing at Bijapur, Common Facility center at Malavalli , Technology Incubator and computer learning Centre at Bangalore, Computer labs in 5 districts- Bijapur, Gulbarga, Malavalli-Mandya, Koppla and Belgaum)
- Started conducting/facilitating the entrepreneurs to participate in various Exhibitions and Buyers seller Meet at Taluka, District, Regional, National and International level
- Started AWAKE BAZZAR (weekly bazaar) to support entrepreneurs from rural areas to sell their wares
- Started Sub-contract exchange (linking entrepreneurs with wholesalers, retailers, multinational corporations and public sector undertakings and many more)
- Ventured into Vocational Training for youth especially school dropouts for employable skill across Karnataka
AWAKE has 15 office staff for its admin tasks and as an organization, it has a revenue turnover of one core annually; however, the revenue it helps to generate through creating enterprises is beyond ones calculations.
Association of Women Entrepreneurs of Karnataka (AWAKE)
B-76, KSSIDC Industrial Estate, Rajajinagar,
Bangalore-10, Karnataka, India.
Phone: +91 - 80 - 23385874 / 23111059
Email address: email@example.com