The fledgling garment manufacturing industry of the region has grown at a steady pace, despite not getting any measure of support from the local administration or grants from the government. Battling technology obsolescence, growing input costs and a paucity of labor, the industry brings in over Rs.1000 crore of revenue and employs over 10,000 people.
A Brief Profile of the Industry:
· Total Number of Units: 500
· Total Number of Employees: 10,000
· Apex Association: www.tngma.org
- Association President: Debashish Ghosh
- Association Secretary: Vipul Pachmatia
· Key Markets: Maharashtra & Central India
· Labor Force: Mostly Local
· Problems Faced
- No unit has crossed the 100-machine mark – a vital milestone for orders from big apparel brandso Lack of design conformity and uniform quality even for smaller orders due to the inability of a single vendor to fulfill it in the stipulated timeframe
- Hardly any export orders come because of the above two factors, which causes units to refrain from investing in latest technology
- Commercial rate of power is very high (@7.5 per unit) despite the region producing 67% of Maharashtra’s total power output
- Cost of land for industrial use is very high, making new units unviable in the short term
- Land is available outside city limits but labor force is not willing to relocate or commute on a daily basis.