The insights provided by Snapdeal.com broadly represent the overall represent the overall mobiles and tablets market in the digital commerce space in India.The insights are based on the sales and traffic seen on Snapdeal.com over a period of three months (July 2012 – September 2012).
Here are some of the key findings.
80% of the mobiles sold were priced below Rs 5,000 and 95% of the tablets sold were below Rs. 10,000.
Trends show that customers are now preferring Smartphones versus Feature Phones with Smartphones accounting for 23% of the online market share on Snapdeal.com
The top 5 Mobile phone brands are Micromax, Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and HTC.
- In the low price (<Rs 10,000) Tablets category, Micromax has emerged as the clear leader with the brand’s Funbook range being the highest selling as well as the most searched tablet on Snapdeal.com
- Indian Tablets brands like Zync, Penta and Intex are now finding greater acceptability amongst the online shoppers on Snapdeal.com.
- Almost 50% of the sales of mobiles and tablets came from consumers’ residing in Tier-I cities.
- Growth in tablets market outpaced the growth in mobiles market by 3 times with tablets sales growing at the rate of 33% month-on-month as compared to Mobiles sales growth at 11% month-on-month.
- Symbian (46%) and Android (44%) were the most preferred operation systems in mobile phones.
- Camera is no longer an ancillary feature in mobile phones. The sale of mobile phones with cameras grew by a 100% while that of mobile phones without cameras dropped by 32%.
- Android is the most preferred OS in Tablets with a market share of 94%.